DSDrive - game is finished

Hi everyone,

I finished my game now :smiley:. it is made entirely with CGE and Lazarus (and Blender and LazPaint).
It is a car race game against 10 opponents and/or time. You can save the best lap time in highscore.
You can choose between three weather types or random weather. In the box you can change tires, refuel, change the brake or adjust the wing angle. You can drive in three different views on three different tracks. I use only simple physics (gravity).
Please let me know if someone is interested in code.

some screenshots:
grafik
grafik
grafik
grafik
grafik
grafik
grafik

regards
didi

6 Likes

Looks cool!

Well I’m interested in anything you’d like to share :slight_smile:

• Do you have a downloadable version (executable) to play? If not yet, do you maybe want to upload one (e.g. to https://itch.io/ ?). I would happily link to it from Games using Castle Game Engine | Castle Game Engine .

• Do you have any videos, e.g. on YouTube? Screenshots are cool, videos are cooler :slight_smile:

• And if you want to share the code, to just allow every developer to play – of course I would be happy to see it :slight_smile: Note that I would still recommend to upload a ready binary with the game e.g. to https://itch.io/ and/or as a release of the GitHub / GitLab project. This allows even people who are not FPC/CGE developers to get your game easier.

this is my first try on itch.io. I hope everything is set up properly.

Does it make sense to upload the *.pas-files on itch.io as well?

regards
didi

It looks great.

I’ve put it in my pending games list in itch.io because I have not Windows right now. Maybe I’ll try Wine later. Also if you publish the sources I would try to compile for Debian and tell you if it works.

Source code is now also available for download.

Pleas let me know if it works under Debian.

2 Likes

Yes it works!

I’ve managed to make a build :slight_smile: There are a few issues with the code. Two files are case-sensitive (you call DSDRIVE_options.txt in several times as dsdrive_options.txt) and in one place you use \ instead of Unix-style /. Plus Action-Rock.ogg is capitalized in Audio folder, but not capitalized in the index.xml. Track_Austria has first letter capitalized, also had to be fixed.

When I’ve fixed those issues the game compiled, launched and ran perfectly!

1 Like

If you don’t mind being open source GitHub/GitLab is a better option to store code. E.g. this way I could have easily made a fork of your project and made a pull request with the fixes above so you wouldn’t have to guess where exactly to fix that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got one more file: DSDRIVE_highscore with incorrect capitalization, when won (came the last :D) the race

Thanks for the information.
That means Linux is case sensitive. Windows has no problem with this. Good to know.

Indeed, almost all non-Windows systems are now Unix or derived from Unix, and all of them (Linux, Android, iOS…) have case-sensitive filesystems by default.

Note that we have in CGE a variable to deal with it automatically: CastleDataIgnoreCase, https://castle-engine.io/apidoc/html/CastleURIUtils.html#CastleDataIgnoreCase . I would not advise to use it in long run (fixing the files is usually easy), but it’s actually a great solution if you develop mostly on Windows and want the game to run with minimal effort on cases-sensitive filesystems. You can just set it to true and forget :slight_smile:

Agreed :slight_smile: That is, itch.io works if you want to just distribute source code as a zip… but putting source code on GitHub / GitLab is better :slight_smile: – you get version control, everyone gets ability to send pull requests etc. And you get cool toys like GutHub Actions / GitLab CI that make building for you ( GitHub Actions | Manual | Castle Game Engine , GitLab CI/CD | Manual | Castle Game Engine ).

Thank you for putting the game on itch.io!

1 Like

Note that we’ve made a news post about DSDrive today :slight_smile: See DSDrive – a new racing game made in Castle Game Engine – Castle Game Engine , on forum too on DSDrive - a new racing game made in Castle Game Engine .

2 Likes